Freedom of Information
WHAT IS FREEDOM OF INFORMATION
The Freedom of Information Act 2014 gives you the right to access records held by FOI bodies. FOI bodies must give you an explanation if you are not given what you asked for and the decision must normally be made within 4 weeks.
WHAT CAN I ASK FOR?
You can ask for any of the following
- Any records relating to you personally, whenever created
- All other records created after April, 2008
WHAT IS A RECORD?
A record includes a book or other written or printed material which is in any form including in any electronic device. It is a map, plan or drawing, a disc, tape or film which contains visual or non-visual images or a copy of any of these.
DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR GETTING INFORMATION UNDER FOI?
When the request is for personal information there are no charges unless there is a significant number of records.
In the case of requests which relate to non-personal information there may be charges applied for search retrieval and copying
- There is no charge for submitting a request.
- In relation to the search, retrieval and copying charges there is a minimum threshold of €101 below which no search, retrieval and copying charges can be charged.
- Once the charge reaches €101, full fees apply.
- There is a cap on the amount that can be charged and this is set at €500.
- There is also a further upper ceiling limit on estimated search, retrieval and copying fees set at €700 above which MSLETB can refuse to process a request unless the requester is prepared to refine the request below the limit.
LIST OF FEES
Search and Retrieval €20 per hour (for requests that exceed the €100 minimum in terms of search, retrieval and copying), subject to the ceilings mentioned above.
€0.04 per sheet for a photocopy
Internal review fee €30 (€10 for medical card holders)
Appeal to the Information Commissioner €50 (€15 for medical card holders)
CAN I APPEAL A DECISION?
Yes. If you are not satisfied with the decision made you can seek an internal review of the decision which is a complete and new review of your request by someone more senior. If following this you are still not satisfied you can appeal this decision to the Office of the Information Commissioner.
HOW DO I MAKE AN FOI REQUEST?
You can make an FOI request by completing the Freedom of Information Access Request Form and returning to to:
Freedom of Information Officer
Or by email to [email protected]
Alternatively, you can make your request in writing and send it as above. Your request must:
- Specify that your request is being made under the Freedom of Information Act, 2014
- Be as specific as possible, giving details of relevant names and addresses, dates, locations etc
- Provide a contact number / email in case MSLETB need to clarify any aspect of your request
Further information is available from MSLETB’s Corporate Services Department on 094 9024188.